Friday, September 2, 2011

Grocery Shopping



How do you do your weekly shopping? Do you know that most shopping chains have the "good" food along the edges of the store and the bad food is in the centre? Also the more expensive stuff is at eye level while the discount stuff is on the bottom of the shelf. They also will try to consistently bake stuff (like bread and pastries) to pump that smell into the store to make you hungry and thus buy more.

One way you can save money and calories is to go shopping on a full stomach. This way you will be less tempted to buy impulse food like chips or cookies because you are hungry.

Another way is to make a list and stick to it. It will also help you navigate the isles a little better. I used to just go isle to isle and when ever I saw something I was out of I would get it... I found that if I didn't have a list I was more likely to buy crap and not have all the ingredients needed for the meals I wanted to make that week. One time I bought ALL crap and didn't have a single thing to make and entire meal. "Oh I bought pasta but no sauce", or "oh I bought the chicken, but forgot to pick up the cheese and veggies." Then I would go to the store again to buy the ingredients I missed and happen to pick up more crap.

You could also have a game plan. Know your store and plan the route of attack so that you can stay away from tempting areas.

Has anything like this ever happened to you? Any ideas on what you could do differently?

1 comment:

  1. I make a plan and I stick to it. I plan 5 meals for the week, several that will make leftovers, and once a week I go grocery shopping. I have an app on my phone for my grocery list and only things on the list go in my cart. Well sometimes I make exceptions for things on sale that I know I'll use. This means I completely avoid the cookie/cracker aisle because they are rarely in one of my recipes!

    ReplyDelete