Friday, January 27, 2012

Just start moving

So I know not everyone is as insane like me to be going to the gym at the crack of dawn almost every day. I wasn't always like that, this former couch potato started off slowly. If you are someone who hasn't incorporated any fitness into their week I have a few suggestions for you from personal experience.

First Step: Start walking. If you can find a way to get 30 minutes of walking a day it will add up over the week. If you can get in 10,000 steps in a day you are doing great. Walk to the bus, get off the subway a stop earlier, or get a walk in after dinner.

Second Step: Get some workout DVD's. This is great way to get in some exercise in during the winter months. I loved the Biggest Loser DVD's because I could adapt the moves so that I could do them. Jumping jacks as a 300 lbs woman was not going to happen, but they offered different ways to move to keep my heart rate up. Now I can do the more difficult DVD and routines I never thought I would be able to do. The important thing is to move around a work up a sweat for at least 30 minutes.

Third Step: Do a fitness related activity. I do not care what it is, be it volleyball, hockey, yoga, poll dancing, figure skating. Heck get on the Wii and do Wii fitness, it is great. Take a dance class, go to a dance club or join a dojo. These activities combine both fun and fitness together.

Start off slowly and build on the amount of fitness you do. You will discover as I have after you complete a workout you feel better. The endorphins that you get from working out really change your mood for the better. Soon it will feel weird NOT to be getting in your activity.

3 comments:

  1. awsome that you have made it your gift to the world to motivate...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liked the thought of paying it forward. Sometimes a little motivation goes a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you for getting up and getting in your exercise before work - I can't do it. There is a limit to how early I can get up.

    But you are right. Activity does make you feel better. As I need to remind myself whenever I think "tonight would be a good night to veg on the couch because I am tired and torchwood sounds yummy." Torchwood will still be yummy, but I wont be tired if I get off the dang couch!

    ReplyDelete